, ,

Yesterday went well, but what a long day. I left the house at 5:30 a.m and got to Massachusetts General Hospital at 8:05 a.m, good old MA turnpike traffic. There is nothing worse in my book than driving for 2 1/2 hours on an empty stomach, well perhaps the lack of coffee, I adore my morning coffee, operating (no pun intended lol) without it was excruciating. However, all of that internal griping fell away when I entered the waiting area. The distractions of being with fellow patients and the hustle and bustle of a busy hospital helped banish my hunger and caffeine withdrawal, it also helped me manage my anxiety. My husband’s arrival from New York also helped immensely, he texted me as he was getting in the elevator “I am here, you are saved” one of our favorite lines from one of our favorite movies “Willow”, I texted back “yippee” and I meant it. I felt infinitely better knowing he was here to hold my hand.

My procedure was scheduled for 9:30, but I didn’t get into the procedure room until 10:15, the waiting was a little rough, finally getting into the procedure room was a relief, believe it or not lol. As always the nurses and the doctors were great, attentive and compassionate, I was given sedation, not general anesthesia, but enough to allow me to relax, while still being aware of what they were doing, the biopsy was painful, but I was able to power through the pain with the help of the sedation.

I was done with the procedure at 12:35, I know because my husband told me, he was the unlucky one waiting for it to be over, I was on another plane where time had no meaning. What I didn’t realize until right before they put me “under” was that I would have to stay still on my back without speaking for at least 3 hours. It wasn’t so difficult because for two of the four hours I slept, I had my first x-ray before slipping off to sleep and at 3:45 I had my last x-ray just to make sure my lungs were working properly. While I was laying there still and quiet, I was worried about my husband, because if I was finding the day long, he had to as well. He came in to see me right after I got back from the last x-ray and he was happy, no complaining at all, just happy to see me awake. My nurse fed me at 4:30 and at 5:00 I was unleashed. The rest was all about getting back home, we got home at 7:30 and I spent the rest of the evening fighting a headache which didn’t leave my head until right before I started writing this post, it’s gone now thank goodness.

I’m glad that part is over, I’ll know in about four days what comes next, for now I won’t think about it because it doesn’t serve a purpose, I’ll deal with it when I have to, which is later.